Saturday, June 22, 2013

Books for the First Week of School!

My favorite book to read the first week of school is How Full is Your Bucket?

http://www.amazon.com/How-Full-Your-Bucket-Kids/dp/1595620273/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_y

We use this book to discuss behavior!!  I have a "Bucket" that is on my bulliten board and as I see "whole class good behavior"  I add drops of water to the bucket.  When it is filled....we celebrate.  We either have a special snack, extra recess, or everyone gets something out of the "prize box".  It is a great way to motivate the entire class.  I read it whenever we have behavior problems....and we talk about words that will Fill someones bucket or empty it.  

Another Great one to follow up with this one is:


This one is wonderful too!!!  Check them both out!  I have given you the links to get them on Amazon!!!  




12 comments:

  1. I haven't seen How Full is Your Bucket? Thanks so much for sharing! I am your newest follower!
    -Megan

    First Grade Magic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! The books are really cool.....my kids would refer to them often when they saw or heard something not so nice.... it does make an impression on them!!!

      Delete
  2. I love those books too! When I taught 2nd grade, my students would write to a class member every Friday one nice thing to fill their bucket with. They took them out and read them before going home. It was a nice way to end the week. :)

    Thanks for linking up! :)

    įƒ¦DeAnne
    First Grade and Fabulous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DeAnne....that is a cool idea....did you ever have a problem with someone not getting anything? How did you handle that - if it happened?

      Delete
    2. Great books Linda! I did a similar activity to DeAnn on Fridays. While sitting in a circle my students would pick a name stick from our class cup and think of a compliment for that classmate. My third graders were began calling it our "Friendship Circle" and begged for it to occur weekly! What a bunch of cutie-pies!
      Erin
      Short and Sassy Teacher

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a new follower by email. Thanks for sharing your books and I am off to check them out.
    Paula from Paula’s Place and iSURF Maths

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Paula!! I hope you enjoy the books.....my kids referred to them all year. If someone said something not so nice they would remind each other that "You need to fill my bucket - not empty it!"

      Delete
  5. These are such fantastic books for the beginning of the year - they will be on my list when I join the link-up too!

    Love to Learn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Linda! I love the books you posted - we've been using the bucket concept at our school, the kids love it!I just found your blog, I’m your newest follower!
    ✿Sue✿
    Science for Kids Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan!! Thanks for following me!! So your whole school uses the Bucket Filler program? I would love to know how that works school wide!!!

      Delete
  7. Hi Linda! I love adding new picture books to my collection, and I know I heard about this one at a conference but I didn't remember the title. So thank you so much!

    Your latest follower,

    Sharon Dudley, NBCT
    Teaching with Sight

    ReplyDelete